If you need a ride to and from non-emergency medical visits, call the HHSC Medical Transportation Program (MTP) at 1-877-633-8747 (1-877-Med-TRIP) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday. MTP can help you to get a ride to your health care appointments when there are no other transportation options.
What Services Are Covered?
The plan offers rides free of charge when you have no other way to get to:
- A doctor's appointment
- An appointment with another health care provider
- A dental appointment
- A pharmacy
How Far in Advance Can I Call?
- Call MTP when you know you will need a ride.
- You must call MTP at least three days before your appointment.
- If your visit is on Monday, call MTP by Thursday the week before.
When you call, you will need to give MTP the following facts:
- Your Medicaid ID number, Children with Special Health Care Needs program number, or your Social Security number.
- The address where they will pick you up. If there is a phone number at the place they are picking you up, they need that too.
- The name, address and phone number of the doctor or drug store where you need to go. The date and time of your doctor’s visit.
If you or your children have any special needs, they need to know that so they can send the right type of vehicle. For example, for people who use a wheelchair, they can send a van with a wheelchair ramp.
If you need additional help getting a ride, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) offers Non-Emergency Medical Transportation as a Value Added Service.
Call 911 if you need emergency transport. (You do not need an OK from BCBSTX in the event of an emergency.
To learn more about transportation services, see the STAR Member Handbook.