If your child needs a ride to and from non-emergency medical visits, call the HHSC Medical Transportation Program (MTP) at 1-877-633-8747 (1-877-Med-TRIP) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday. MTP can help you to get a ride to your child’s health care appointments when there are no other transportation options.
What services are covered?
The plan offers rides free of charge when you have no other way to get to:
- A doctor's appointment
- An appointment with another health care provider
- A dental appointment
- A pharmacy
How far in advance do I need to call?
- Call MTP when you know you will need a ride.
- You must call MTP at least three days before the appointment.
- If your child’s visit is on Monday, call MTP by Thursday the week before.
When you call, you will need to give MTP the following facts:
- Your child’s Medicaid ID number, Children with Special Health Care Needs program number, or your child’s Social Security number.
- The address where they will pick you and your child up. If there is a phone number at the pickup location, they need that too.
- The name, address and phone number of the doctor or drug store where you need to go. The date and time of the doctor’s visit.
If your child has any special needs, they need to know that so they can send the right type of vehicle. For example, for people who use a wheelchair, they can send a van with a wheelchair ramp.
Additional Non-Emergency Services Available Through MTM
If you need additional help getting a ride, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas offers Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) as a Value Added Service.