After You Enroll
Now that you’re enrolled in your Blue Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan, find out what’s covered, how we stay in touch with you, how to check your member ID card and how to make a payment.
Outline of Coverage
Your outline of coverage details benefits of your plan. It shows you what you pay for your plan, what Medicare pays for, and what your plan covers that Medicare does not. Your outline of coverage also provides details on renewing your policy, what benefits are excluded and coverage limitations.
Staying in Touch With You
During the year we’ll send updates about your plan. Be sure to review these letters since they impact how much you pay for the plan, how much Medicare covers, and how much your plan covers.
- Rate Change Mailing: If Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas changes your monthly premium, we’ll let you know in advance with a letter showing your new premium.
- CMS Deductible Change Benefit Mailings: Each year, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) changes coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles that Medicare covers. We’ll let you know what those changes are.
- Creditable Cover Letter: Creditable coverage means that you have a health care plan that meets a minimum set of criteria. Each year you’ll receive a letter confirming that your plan meets the criteria. If you want to change your plan, you’ll need to show this letter when selecting a new plan.
- Explanation of Benefits (EOB): You will receive a statement called the Explanation of Benefits. This statement is not a bill. It simply details what you have paid and indicates the level of benefits you’ve used. Review these to be sure they are correct. If you think there are errors, call customer service. If you think you are the victim of fraud, report it immediately.
Check Your ID Card
Please note: You can start using your benefits on your effective date, even if your ID card has not yet arrived in the mail. If something is wrong with your ID card, please let us know. If you have a problem with or need to order a new ID card, call Blue Medicare Supplement Insurance Customer Service at 1-800-654-9390. We’re open from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., CT, Monday through Friday.
Make a Payment
We offer four ways to pay your premium. Depending on which method you choose, you may or may not receive a printed bill.
- Direct Billing: You will receive a monthly premium bill in the mail, and you may pay by check. Notices are mailed on the 15th of each month with a due date of the 1st of the next month. For example, your June 15th bill will be due July 1.
- Over the Phone: If you prefer to not mail a check, you can call us at the number on the back of your member ID card to pay over the phone.
- Automatic Premium Payment Program: Your monthly premium is withdrawn automatically from your checking or savings account on the 4th business day of each month. Choose this option. Complete and print the agreement form. Mail the completed form as instructed.
- Pay Online: Visit our online payment portal to make a quick and easy one-time payment for your monthly premium. Make a Payment.
You can change your billing option at any time. Call Blue Medicare Supplement Insurance Customer Service at 1-800-654-9390. We are open 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., CT, Monday through Friday.
A Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) Medicare Supplement premium discount may be available. Read the eligibility criteria to see if you qualify. If you are eligible for a discount, the discount will be applied to your next bill and remain in effect as long as you are enrolled in your BCBSTX Medicare Supplement plan. Discounts cannot be combined; only one type of discount per member permitted.
You may be eligible for a discount if you enrolled in a BCBSTX Medicare Supplement policy issued with an effective date on or after January 1, 2020, and you either:
- Reside with a spouse or civil union/domestic partner; or
- Have resided with as many as three adults age 60 or older for the last 12 months.
Continue with BlueSM Discount
You may be eligible for a discount if you were enrolled in commercial group or individual coverage with a Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan issued in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma or Texas and that coverage was within one year of your BCBSTX Medicare Supplement policy becoming effective. Applies to BCBSTX Medicare Supplement policies issued with an effective date on or after May 1, 2022.
Medicare Select Plans
Some Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans have a money saving option called Medicare Select. With this option, the Medicare Part A deductible is covered for non-emergency care at Medicare Select hospitals. If it's an emergency, the Part A deductible is covered at any hospital.
Medicare Select is not an HMO. You can choose your own doctors and specialists. To avoid paying the Part A deductible, you must agree to use a Medicare Select hospital for non-emergency care.
You're eligible if you live within 30 miles of any Medicare Select hospital. Find a list of Medicare Select hospitals. Plans F, G, and N have Medicare Select options in Texas.
Only certain hospitals are network providers under this policy. Check with your doctor to find out if he or she has admitting privileges at the network hospital. If he or she does not, you may be required to use another doctor at the time of hospitalization or, if you still use a non-network hospital, you must pay the Part A deductible and any non-covered charges.
Medicare Supplement Forms
Below are some forms you may have to fill out while you’re a member.
- Automatic Premium Payment Program Authorization Agreement
- Appointment of Representative
- Protected Health Information (PHI)
Health care fraud can be reduced or even prevented through awareness. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) is committed to finding and stopping health care fraud, waste and abuse through its Special Investigations Department. This department is there to protect you and your plan. However, BCBSTX needs your help to find and prevent health care fraud.
There are things you can do to help find and prevent health care fraud. Review our fighting fraud checklist.