Shopping for Health care coverage?
Join our mailing list to receive helpful information.
Your information has been received.
Your information could not be received.
Special Enrollment - Losing Job-Related Health Plan
If your job no longer covers you, you might be able to get a new health plan. You may qualify to buy a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) health plan during the Special Enrollment Period (SEP). If not, you may have other choices.
SEP Qualifying Life Event and Documentation
You could lose your job-related health plan for many reasons. These are called qualifying life events and may be:
- Work hours getting lowered that leads to benefit cuts
- Getting laid off
- COBRA coverage ending
- State Continuation coverage ending
You'll need to send in documents, or proof, showing your life event date. This may be a company letter or other job records. View a full list of required documents .
Your New Health Plan Options
Based on your age and income, you may be able to enroll in a:
- BCBSTX Individual health plan for yourself or family – If you’re under age 65, our plans have three levels of coverage. They all offer essential health benefits and a range of out-of-pocket costs. Understand health care plans and review plan levels and costs.
- BCBSTX Medicare health plan - Medicare is most often offered at age 65 and is made up of four parts. The federal government gives you Part A at no cost when you sign up for Social Security. You can then buy more coverage to build on to your Part A benefits. Learn how Medicare works and review Blue Cross Medicare OptionsSM.
- Medicaid health plan - If you don’t qualify for SEP or Medicare, you may qualify for Medicaid , Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) or other assistance based on your income1.
Getting a New Health Plan
Each type of health plan has dates, deadlines and information for you to review.
In most cases, you'll have 60 days (counting weekends and holidays) from your qualifying life event's date.
However, losing a job-related health plan may let you buy a health plan up to 60 days before losing your job-related coverage.
Initial Enrollment Period
Annual Enrollment Period
There's no SEP, so you can apply at any time.
Note: Members of American Indian and Alaska Native tribes can apply for health care coverage any month of the year.
|Buying Your Health Plan||
See if you qualify for a subsidy, also called a premium tax credit.
Check your state agency's website for details.
We’re Here to Help
We can help you and your family stay covered. You can always use these phone numbers to call us with health plan questions.
1BCBSTX does not make Medicaid eligibility determinations or take Medicaid applications.