Doctors and Hospitals
UT CARE is an Open Access Medicare Advantage PPO plan that does not require the use of a network provider for coverage. Your benefit levels are the same if you use a Blue Cross and Blue Shield network or non-network provider. You may seek care from any providers nationwide that accept Medicare and agree to submit claims to BCBSTX.
IMPORTANT: NEW MEMBER NUMBER
As a UT CARE member, you have a new member number and ID card. Be sure to show your new card to your providers or their office staff. Remind them that your old ID is no longer valid. If the provider does not use your new number, your benefits cannot be confirmed and there may be delays processing your claims.
Please note: Nearly 98% of providers nationwide accept Medicare assignment, but there are providers who do not accept Medicare or have “opted out.” A UT CARE member may have lower out-of-pocket costs if he or she receives care from a provider who accepts Medicare assignment rather than one who does not, or who has opted out.
Medicare-assigned providers can decide what patients they want to see. We recommend that you confirm with providers that they will accept your UT CARE plan and file claims with us directly. It may be helpful to refer to UT CARE as a Group Medicare Advantage Open Access PPO plan when talking with your provider.
Search Provider Finder® to find the most up-to-date network of doctors, specialists, hospitals and other health care providers.
Some high-cost medical services have more cost-effective alternatives that require prior authorization from the plan before your provider can proceed.
Our Provider Finder offers you more ways to search than ever before. You can still look up doctors, hospitals and other providers by location. But now you can also research providers using patient reviews, and quality, certification and recognition information.
Do a quick search now, or log in to Blue Access for Members to:
- Find providers wherever you are without entering your location for each search.
- Find all locations where a provider practices in one search.
- Use a global search bar to get faster results.
- See if a Blue Distinction® Center for Specialty Care is available near you.
- See what other patients say about a provider, or add your own review.
- View quality, certifications and recognitions for doctors.
Find a Provider Outside of Texas
BlueCard® is a national program that enables you and your dependents to obtain health care services when traveling or living outside their Blue Plan service area. When you travel or live away from home for an extended period of time, you'll have the same benefits as your Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) plan. Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS) plans have the largest hospital and physician network in the United States. Outside the U.S., you'll have access to doctors and hospitals in more than 200 countries and territories around the world through the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core program.
The BlueCard program features:
- Access to physicians and hospitals nationwide.
- PPOs can be found in all 50 states, District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
- Receive network (highest) level of benefits.
- Claims filed by providers.
- No balance billing – BlueCard providers accept the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas allowed amounts for covered services and cannot bill you for charges which exceed the allowed amount.
Locate a Provider
- When searching for a provider in the U.S., use our Provider Finder.
- When searching for a provider outside the U.S., visit the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global® Core website.
BlueCard coverage will vary depending on whether you choose a contracting or non-contracting provider. Be sure to call Customer Service at the number on the back of your member ID card before traveling.
Find a Provider while Traveling Internationally
If you require medical treatment while out of the country, you are only covered in an emergency per Medicare rules.The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Global Core program gives members traveling outside of the United States and its territories access to urgent and emergency medical assistance services and doctors and hospitals in more than 200 countries around the world. If you have questions about what medical care is covered when you travel, please call UT CARE Customer Service or access information at www.bcbsglobalcore.com.