We’re working with Everlywell to provide in-home test kits this summer to certain Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) members who need a colorectal cancer screening. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, many may have delayed getting appropriate care. Everlywell is sending Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) kits to certain Blue Advantage HMOSM and MyBlue HealthSM members at no additional charge.
As a trusted provider, you may want to encourage our members to take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about their health with a FIT kit. In 2021 we provided 33,376 FIT kits to BCBSTX members:
- 5,432 members returned their kits and closed this gap in their care.
- Test results were sent to the members and their primary care physicians (PCPs). 304 kits were abnormal or positive, meaning the sample contained blood when collected.
Why Use FIT
The U.S. Preventive Services Taskforce recognizes annual FIT testing for colorectal cancer screening starting at age 45.
FIT testing is appropriate screening for people with an average risk for colorectal cancer. Average risk means no family history of colorectal cancer, no personal history of inflammatory bowel disease, no previous polyps and no previous colorectal cancer.
When compared to stool DNA tests, FIT kits have fewer false positives, which reduces unnecessary colonoscopies, according to the National Cancer Institute. Unlike stool DNA tests like the Cologuard®, FIT kits require only a swab rather than a stool sample.
How In-Home Testing Works
- The in-home testing process is quick and easy for members:
- Everlywell sends the kits to a sample of eligible members who’ve been identified with a gap in care for colorectal cancer screening. Completing the kit is voluntary.
- The kits don’t require fasting, dietary restrictions or preparation. Medications are taken according to members’ normal schedule.
- Members complete the test kit at home, provide the name of their PCP and mail the test for processing to Everlywell by Dec. 31, 2022. An addressed, postage-paid envelope is included.
- Everlywell sends results to the member and their PCP in three to four weeks.
How You Can Help
- Consider discussing the importance of colorectal cancer screening and healthy lifestyle choices with our members. If our member receives a kit and calls your office with questions, discuss their screening options.
- Document any test results in the member’s medical record and discuss the results with our member.
Everlywell, formally Home Access Health Corporation, is an independent company that has contracted with BCBSTX to provide laboratory testing services for members with coverage through BCBSTX. BCBSTX makes no endorsement, representations or warranties regarding third-party vendors and the products and services offered by them.
The above material is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician or other health care provider. Physicians and other health care providers are encouraged to use their own medical judgment based upon all available information and the condition of the patient in determining the appropriate course of treatment.