Whether you're looking for insurance for yourself or your entire family, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) offers a variety of family and individual health insurance coverage options.
Individual Health Insurance For Yourself and Family
We offer a variety of individual health insurance plans, also known as major medical or comprehensive coverage. These plans cover a large range of services and meet the following requirements:
- Usually can be renewed.
- Last a year or longer.
- Include the following services, as required under the Affordable Care Act:
- Maternity, newborn and pediatric care
- Emergency services, hospitalization and preventive care
- Laboratory services, prescription drugs and disease management
- Mental health care and substance abuse treatment
- Rehabilitative services and devices
You may qualify for help paying for your Individual and Family plan. Learn about getting financial help.
Group Health Insurance Plan
If you get your health plan through your job, this is called a group health insurance plan. It's also known as group coverage or a group plan.
Dental insurance plans can cover everything from basic care to a wide range of dental services. Dental coverage can be purchased as part of your Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas family and individual health insurance plan or as a standalone dental plan. As part of the Affordable Care Act, some Individual and Family plans include dental coverage for children up to age 21.
Medicare is a government program designed to provide health insurance to people age 65 years or older, as well as people under 65 with certain disabilities or illnesses. When you sign up for Medicare through the government, you get Original Medicare Part A (hospital) and B (medical) coverage. But you can also purchase additional insurance through Medicare-approved insurance companies like BCBSTX, to strengthen your health insurance safety net. The additional insurance includes the following parts:
- Part C — Medicare Advantage Plans are considered all-in-one coverage, and some come with built-in prescription drug coverage.
- Part D — This part of Medicare includes prescription drug coverage that pays for approved drugs.
- Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans — These plans may assist with health care costs that aren't covered by Original Medicare.
Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
Medicaid and CHIP are types of low or no-cost health insurance through the government. Your eligibility is based on your household size and income and determined by the government. You can apply any time of year. You can apply online and if you qualify for Medicaid or CHIP, the proper government office will contact you.
Please note: If you sign up for Medicaid or CHIP, you will not be able to use the premium tax credit or cost sharing discount. If you have Medicaid coverage now, you're considered covered under the health care law and don't have to buy a plan on the Marketplace.