The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) Special Beginnings®* maternity program is designed to help BCBSTX members and their babies get off to a healthy start by providing education materials and support, pregnancy risk factor identification, ongoing communication/monitoring and access to an online resource center. Members are supported from early pregnancy through six weeks after delivery.
Once a member enrolls in the program and completes a confidential questionnaire, they will receive a comprehensive educational book covering a multitude of pregnancy and infant care related topics.
What It Provides
Program staff in our Health Care Management Division will schedule follow up calls with the member before and after delivery to:
- Identify any risk factors that might adversely affect the pregnancy
- Determine progress in self-management techniques
- Provide education on prenatal, postpartum and newborn care
- Reinforce the physician's treatment plan
- Help manage high-risk conditions such as gestational diabetes and preeclampsia
- Offers assistance on how to access other pregnancy-related resources
- Access to an online resource with maternity tools, articles and information
How to Get Members to Participate
To ensure BCBSTX members participate in the Special Beginnings Program, physicians must contact the Medical Care Management Department with notification of any pregnancy for their BCBSTX members by phone at 1-855-896-2701 or online by access the Availity® Authorizations & Referrals tool. Members may also call 1-888-421-7781 directly to enroll.
Refer to the BCBSTX Provider Manuals for additional information.
* BCBSTX reserves the right to discontinue or change this program at any time without notice. Special Beginnings can help plan and manage a member’s health, but is not a substitute for medical or other professional advice.
Availity is a trademark of Availity, LLC, a separate company that operates a health information network to provide electronic information exchange services to medical professionals. Availity provides administrative services to BCBSTX. BCBSTX makes no endorsement, representations or warranties regarding any products or services provided by third party vendors such as Availity.