BCBSTX offers translation services for hundreds of languages to providers and members free of charge through our Language Line.
Where do I call and how does this work?
- Call 1-800-874-9426 for Group insurance members. When asked supply code 704322
- Call 1-866-874-3972 for Retail insurance members. When asked supply code 706640
- Provide the needed language and within 5 minutes a translator will be on the phone to assist you and your patient.
- The American Academy of Family Physicians reported more than 60 million people in the United States speak a language other than English at home. This population is least likely to access care or be satisfied with the care they receive.
- Limited English proficiency complicates communication which increases the risk of adverse effects from medications and misunderstanding physician instructions or diagnosis information as noted in the American Family Physician Journal article .
- Results for the 2021 BCBSTX Enrollee Experience Survey (EES) revealed a significant drop (5 percentage points) in member satisfaction with Cultural Competence directly related to translation services during a doctor or clinic appointment.
We encourage you:
- To use the language line as an additional resource for you and your office staff as you care for your patients.
- Watch News and Updates for more information and future announcements.
The above material is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician or other health care provider. Physicians and other health care providers are encouraged to use their own medical judgment based upon all available information and the condition of the patient in determining the appropriate course of treatment. The fact that a service or treatment is described in this material is not a guarantee that the service or treatment is a covered benefit and members should refer to their certificate of coverage for more details, including benefits, limitations, and exclusions. Regardless of benefits, the final decision about any service or treatment is between the member and their health care provider.