May 31, 2021
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) is working with Home Access Health Corporation to provide in-home test kits for certain members who need a colorectal cancer screening. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, many may have delayed getting appropriate care. Home Access Health is sending Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) kits to certain Blue Advantage HMOSM and Blue Advantage PlusSM HMO members at no additional charge.
How It Works
The process is quick and easy for members to follow:
- Home Access Health sends the kits to a sample of eligible members who have been identified with a gap in care for colorectal cancer screening. Completing the kit is voluntary.
- The kits don’t require fasting, dietary restrictions or preparation. Medications are taken according to members’ normal schedule.
- Members complete the test kit at home, provide the name of their primary care provider (PCP) and mail the test for processing to Home Access Health by Dec. 31, 2021. An addressed, postage-paid envelope is included.
- Home Access Health sends results to the member and their PCP in three to four weeks.
How You Can Help
As a trusted provider, you can encourage our members to take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about their health.
- Discuss the importance of colorectal cancer screening and healthy lifestyle choices with our members.
- If our member receives a kit and calls your office with questions, discuss their screening options.
- Document any test results in the member’s medical record and discuss the results with our member.
- The U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer recognizes annual FIT testing and colonoscopy every 10 years as the two cornerstones of screening.
- FIT testing is appropriate screening for individuals with an average risk for colorectal cancer. Average risk means no family history of colorectal cancer, no personal history of inflammatory bowel disease, no previous polyps and no previous colorectal cancer.
Questions? Contact your BCBSTX Provider Network Representative.
Home Access Health Corporation is an independent company that provides health screenings for BCBSTX. Home Access Health Corporation is solely responsible for the products and services it provides.