We are proud to insure the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) account as of Sept. 1, 2017. ERS participants covered under HealthSelect of Texas® and Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM (HealthSelect) benefit plans access care through a custom point of service network using Blue EssentialsSM providers in all 254 counties in Texas.
Important Change to Mental Health Services
As of Sept. 1, 2020, BCBSTX will manage mental health benefits and services for HealthSelect plans, including network management. This is a transition from the Magellan Healthcare® network, which HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect plans currently use for mental health services. Learn more.
ERS Participant Plans
HealthSelect of Texas (In Texas)
- Participants must select a primary care provider (PCP) participating in the Blue Essentials provider network.
- Referrals are required to see Blue Essential providers for in-network benefits.
Consumer Directed HealthSelect (In Texas)
- Participants have open access to providers in the Blue Essentials provider network for in-network benefits.
- PCP selection or referrals are not required when accessing Blue Essentials providers for in-network benefits.
HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect Out-of-State
- ERS participants living outside of Texas have access to a PPO network under Blue Card.
- This plan does not require PCP selection and does not require referrals.
For the above plans, refer to the Prior Authorization Lists for Designated Groups page under Utilization Management - Prior Authorizations and Predeterminations for lists of services that require prior authorization or referrals (if needed).
HealthSelect Secondary 65+
- ERS Retirees and Participants are eligible for Medicare.
How to Identify ERS Participants
- The plan names HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect will be printed directly on the ID card.
- Some ERS participants in Texas will have a unique network ID labeled HME.
How to be an In-Network Provider for ERS Participants
- Must have privileges at one of the Blue Essentials/HealthSelect participating hospitals (unless inpatient admissions are uncommon or not required for the provider's specialty or provider has someone who will admit on their behalf)
- Must have a valid National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
- Must sign a Blue Essentials agreement
Outpatient Clinical Laboratory Information:
Providers located in the Reimbursable Lab County List can perform labs on the Reimbursable Lab List in the provider's office for HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect of Texas participants. All other lab services must be sent to a participating lab.
Statewide In-Network Clinical Labs for HealthSelect Participants include:
- Quest Diagnostics, Inc — For locations or questions contact Quest at 1-888-277-8772 or visit Quest's website .
- Clinical Pathology Laboratory (CPL) — For locations or questions, contact CPL at 1-800-595-1275 or visit CPL's website .
- LabCorp — For locations or questions contact LabCorp at 1-888-LAB-CORP or visit LabCorp's website
Refer to Provider Finder for additional participating clinical laboratory providers.
If you have any questions regarding the ERS plans or are interested in participating, please contact your Network Management office or go to the Network Participation – How to Join page and follow the steps.
- Blue Essentials, Blue Advantage HMO, Blue Premier and MyBlue Health - Provider Manual — Refer to Section M for ERS
- HealthSelect of Texas Quick Reference Guide
- Consumer Directed HealthSelect of Texas Quick Reference Guide
- HealthSelect of Texas & Consumer Directed HealthSelect Key Contact List
- Sample ERS Participant ID Cards
- HealthSelect of Texas® Provider Finder
- Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM Provider Finder
- HealthSelectSM Out-of-State Provider Finder
- HealthSelectSM Secondary Provider Finder
- HealthSelect of Texas Prior Authorization Lists
- Mental Health Forms