Who is this program for?
STAR Kids is available to youth and children through age 20 who qualify for disability-related Medicaid. You must live in the MRSA Central and Travis service areas in order to enroll in the BCBSTX STAR Kids plan.
Also, your child must either:
- Receive Social Security Income (SSI)/SSI-related Medicaid
- Receive Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waiver program services, including:
- Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD)
- Home and Community-based Services (HCS)
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL)
- Community Living Assistance and Supports Services (CLASS)
- Youth Empowerment Services (YES)
Your child may meet both of these requirements.
Visit the Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) Medicaid website Opens in new window to learn about the STAR Kids requirements and whether your child meets those requirements. You can also fill out a form to learn what benefits your child may receive.
How do I get started?
Apply By Phone
Call 2-1-1, a toll free number from the HHSC, to learn more about applying for STAR Kids benefits. You can call Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central Time.
There will be enrollment events around the state, where you can get in-person help signing up for a health plan. Check the Texas Medicaid Events website Opens in new window for updates on when enrollment events will be held in your area. More information about STAR Kids, including upcoming information sessions, can also be found on the Texas HHSC STAR Kids webpage Opens in new window.
Need more information? Call the enrollment broker at 1-877-782-6440 (toll-free) 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central Time, Monday to Friday. If you have a speech or hearing disability, call 7-1-1 or 1-800-735-2989 (toll-free).