As a part of the Blue Cross and Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) STAR Kids Plan, we provide Long Term Services and Supports (LTSS). LTSS are covered benefits that are provided to people with chronic medical and mental illnesses and disabilities. These services can help your child live in your home or in a community setting when you need ongoing support.
The following is a list of services for which your child may be eligible.
- Respite Care (in-home or out-of-home)
- Flexible Family Supports
- Adaptive Aids
- Minor Home Modifications
- Transition Assistance Services (TAS)
- Financial Management Services (CDS only)
- Employment Assistance
- Supported Employment
- Personal Care Services (PCS)
- Community First Choice – Attendant care, habilitation, emergency response services (ERS), support management
- Private duty nursing (PDN)
- Home health skilled nursing
- Home health aide services
- Physical therapy (PT)
- Occupational therapy (OT)
- Speech therapy (ST)
- Mental health rehabilitation
- Mental health targeted case management
- Medical supplies
- Durable medical equipment (DME)
Not everyone will qualify for the above services. You will work with your child's service manager to complete a health assessment that will identify which services meet your child's health care needs. If you're eligible for these services and they are medically necessary, your service coordinator will work with your primary care physician (PCP) to get these services in place.
Service coordination assists you and your child in coordinating long term care services and supports. They will also help you choose the providers that your child needs. If you prefer to see a Medicaid doctor who is not part of our network, you will need to work with a service coordinator so arrangements will be made for authorizations for your child's out-of-network provider.
For more information, please see your Member Handbook.
Some STAR Kids members are eligible for additional services through waivers. Waivers are handled by different state agencies.
BCBSTX service coordinators will assist in coordinating care for members with various waivers. These waivers include:
- Medically Dependent Children's Program (MDCP) Waiver
- Youth Empowerment Services (YES) Waiver
- Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS) Waiver
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD) Waiver
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL) Waiver
- Home and Community-based Services (HCS) Waiver
Some of the waiver services are delivered through the Department of State Health Services or Department of Aging and Disability Services. Other services will be delivered through the STAR Kids plan. Please contact your BCBSTX service coordinator at 1-877-301-4394 if you need assistance with accessing these services.
For more information on LTSS and waivers, see the Member Handbook.
This should be done for any emergency at home or away.