Since its founding over 70 years ago, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) has made a commitment to core values which include community support and active volunteerism. Today, our commitment to those core values are expressed through a variety of outreach efforts, from employee volunteers who participate in our Blue Corps team, to financial support/sponsorship of successful health initiatives in the communities where we live, work and do business. Around the state, BCBSTX takes pride in reaching out to community partners to keep our commitment to giving and improving the well-being of Texans.
Through charitable giving and sponsorships, our organization connects with customers, community leaders and policy makers that are interested in making Texas a healthier state. We respect all community-oriented projects but must limit our support. Please read through the following information to see if your organization's project is a good fit for our funding priorities.
BCBSTX has a core mission of promoting accessible, cost-effective, quality health care for our customers. We feel that it is imperative to align our corporate giving and sponsorship decisions with this mission in an effort to achieving successful outcomes.
- Access to Care: Projects that increase awareness and understanding of access to care issues for uninsured and low-income households. Applicants must be able to demonstrate knowledge of health care access issues and related stakeholders, including providers, policy makers, and advocates. Your application should include your project goal, audience, initiative or activity, sponsor levels and publicity plan.
- Healthy Living/Wellness: Projects that increase awareness and understanding of healthy choices in everyday living and promoting a healthy lifestyle. The issues surrounding the cost of health care are complex, but BCBSTX understands the physical and financial importance of living a healthy lifestyle. Applicants must be able to demonstrate accurate and clear information that is actionable. Your application should include your project goal, audience, initiative or activity, sponsor levels and publicity plan.
- Condition Management: Projects that increase awareness and understanding of living with chronic conditions. The following areas are a priority for BCBSTX: premature births and chronic, obesity-related conditions such as diabetes and heart disease. Applicants must be able to demonstrate knowledge of community-level disease management resources and tools, and be willing to help promote the importance of condition management programs available in the community.
- Business Partner: Allows BCBSTX staff to build relationships with the business community and the provider community. Must be able to demonstrate audience demographics and allow for adequate brand visibility based on the level of financial commitment. Applicants must adhere to corporate brand identity standards.
- Community Concerns and Social Service: Projects that increase awareness of cultural, education and social service needs, especially for children and seniors. Applicants must be able to demonstrate knowledge of community-level service delivery, resources and tools for disadvantaged/underserved populations. Your application should include your project goal, audience, initiative/activity, sponsor levels and publicity plan.
Who Can Apply?
BCBSTX partners with organizations that share our mission. We accept requests for giving and sponsorships from organizations that are located within the geographic service area of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas and has at least one of the following designations:
- Defined as a non-profit under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code
- Government agencies, civic/cultural organizations and public school systems.
Exclusions — What is not funded?
BCBSTX is unable to offer funding for the following activities:
- Organizations or projects that discriminate against individuals based on race, gender, religion, or sexual preference
- Sponsorship of unrelated charitable or non-charitable programs
- Youth athletics
- Deficit funding
Apply for Funding
Each year, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas provides financial support to strengthen Texas communities. In general, we fund more than 200 community organizations whose goals are in alignment with our mission of promoting the health and wellness of Texas communities. In addition to our primary focus on health and wellness, we also provide funding for a range of other human services and community needs outlined under 'Funding Priorities.'
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas contributes to the community primarily through two types of funding: grants and sponsorships.
Sponsorship Funds are primarily for supporting fundraisers or events for both 501(c) 3 and non-charitable community, civic and educational organizations. Such fundraising events include: galas, benefits, golf tournaments, conferences and various community events.
Grant funding is for program-focused initiatives or general operating support for charitable, 501(c)3 organizations which primarily support programs aligned with our health and wellness mission and providing access to disadvantaged populations.
Healthy Kids, Healthy Families Grants
New in 2011, we are pleased to introduce a grant program as part of the Healthy Kids, Healthy Families initiative. These grants will invest in opportunities that are designed to improve the health status of children through nutrition education, physical activity, disease prevention and management, and supporting safe environments.
Thank you for considering BCBSTX as a potential partner.