BCBSTX-Administered State Continuation
Texas State Continuation Coverage administration services are available through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX). To elect State Continuation Administration Services, call 1-888-541-7107 or your BCBSTX small group representative.
If BCBSTX administers your State Continuation Coverage:
1. Notify BCBSTX when an employee is terminated. You can easily do this by e-mailing bluecrossblueshield_COBRA@bcbstx.com.
2. You will receive a systematic e-mail reply directing you to a web site, where you will be instructed to create a protected account to securely submit information to BCBSTX. The e-mail will also include a Request for Information form (Excel file download) as an attachment. Complete the form online, making sure to indicate RETURN in the subject line of the return e-mail before clicking "Submit."
3. Following receipt of your notification, BCBSTX will mail an enrollment packet, which includes the Texas Nine (9) Months Continuation of Insurance Application form, to eligible applicants. The applicant must complete, sign and fax the application to Continuation Services at 1-618-998-2747.
NOTE: If the employee was involuntarily terminated, he or she may be eligible for the federally legislated premium subsidy. The Request for Information form you submitted in Step 1 will serve as confirmation that the applicant's employment was terminated involuntarily. To apply for the subsidy, the applicant must also complete and return the Request for Treatment as an Assistance Eligible Individual form included in the packet.
4. Pay as billed. Once membership is established, BCBSTX will bill both you and the continuant for the State Continuation Coverage premium. You will receive a check and reconciliation statement from BCBSTX after BCBSTX receives the continuant's premiums.
5. BCBSTX will cancel continuants from State Continuation coverage when the nine (9)-month continuation coverage period ends or any of the following events occur:
- You discontinue offering your group health plan to all employees
- The continuant fails to submit a premium payment within 30 days* of the due date
- BCBSTX receives notification from you or the continuant that the continuant has obtained other group coverage
- BCBSTX receives notice from you or the continuant that the continuant has become eligible for Medicare coverage
- The continuant requests to drop coverage
*The 30-day payment grace period does not apply to the initial premium payment. Eligible continuants have 60 days from the date BCBSTX mails their State Continuation Coverage packets to apply for coverage. They have an additional 45 days from the date they apply for coverage to submit the first premium payment to BCBSTX.