The BlueEdgeSM Health Savings Account (HSA) PPO plans put members in charge of their health by empowering them to make their own decisions about how their health care dollars are spent. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) provides online tools and resources to help members make wise and informed decisions about their health care and better manage their health care benefits.
Here is what makes BlueEdge HSA an exciting option:
Affordability — lower health insurance premiums for a health insurance plan with a higher plan deductible
Triple tax savings
- Tax deductions when you contribute to the member's health savings account
- Tax free earnings for the member through investment
- Tax free withdrawals by the member for qualified medical expenses
The BlueEdge HSA plans offered by BCBSTX are coupled with federally qualified, high deductible, PPO health coverage. These health plans meet Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations as follows:
- Provide health insurance that does not cover first-dollar medical expenses. The deductible must apply to all medical expenses (including prescription drugs) covered by the plan, with the exception of preventive care services that can be paid on a first-dollar basis
- Provide preventive care services paid on a first-dollar basis (waiving the plan deductible)
- Comply with deductible and out-of-pocket maximum amounts established annually by IRS
Benefit levels vary depending on whether care is received in-network or out-of-network. Members must use network providers to receive the higher (in-network) level of benefits.
BlueEdge HSA plans are available to clients through the Blue Choice Network, one of the largest networks in Texas. Blue Choice provides:
- Access to the national BlueCard® network of providers when members are outside Texas
- Over 600 participating hospitals and facilities in Texas
- More than 800,000 doctors and 6,000 hospitals contracting with Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans nationwide
BCBSTX offers both aggregate and embedded high-deductible HSA plans with varying deductible amounts and out-of-pocket maximum options on either an insured or self-funded basis. All plans include outpatient prescription drug coverage that applies the cost of the covered drugs to the overall plan deductible and out-of-pocket maximum when prescriptions are obtained through participating pharmacies or through mail order pharmacy services.
For more detailed information on available benefit designs, a description of the services and supplies that are covered, a listing of those services and supplies that are limited or excluded, terms and general administration, or for any questions you may have regarding our products and services, look in the Contact Us section for the phone number of the regional sales office near you.