Keys to Diabetes Management
Provider Survey Results
In late 2020, we asked Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) providers to tell us what works best to manage diabetes.
We asked providers what methods are most important in educating patients with diabetes. They recommend:
- One-on-one education
- Referral to a specialist educator
We also asked which methods they most commonly recommend for managing diabetes. They recommend:
- Diet, exercise and weight loss
- Frequent follow-up visits
- Keeping a diary of blood sugar levels
Also, half of survey responders said they perform HbA1c testing in-office, which can improve decision-making, patient compliance and outcomes. Most indicated they test their patients’ HbA1c every three months.
Closing care gaps
Our provider survey is part of our effort to measure and improve the quality of care our members receive. Comprehensive diabetes care is a Health Effectiveness Data Information Set (HEDIS®) measure developed by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) .
Supporting members with diabetes
BCBSTX offers some members programs like the following to support your treatment options:
- Livongo®, focuses on diabetes management and offers supplemental, remote care in the member’s home. Features include:
- Real-time personalized messaging via a connected blood glucose meter
- Certified diabetes educators available 24/7
- Member-initiated reporting to a BCBSTX clinician, a PCP or specialist, with blood glucose readings and trends to enable more focused conversations. Members can also choose to send alerts to family or member of their personal support group.
- Instant interventions when blood glucose readings are out of range.
- Omada®, focuses on diabetes prevention with supplemental remote care that members can do at home. Omada can help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Features include:
- Health coach for ongoing digital support and guidance
- Weekly lessons to empower healthier habits around food, activity, sleep and stress
- Cellular-connected scale that automatically uploads readings to a member’s account
- Optional small online group for real-time motivation from a community of peers
Livongo is an independent company that provides diabetes management for BCBSTX. Livongo is solely responsible for the products and services it provides.
Omada is an independent company that provides diabetes prevention services for BCBSTX. Omada is solely responsible for the products and services it provides.
The above material is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician or other health care provider. Physicians and other health care providers are encouraged to use their own medical judgment based upon all available information and the condition of the patient in determining the appropriate course of treatment. The fact that a service or treatment is described in this material is not a guarantee that the service or treatment is a covered benefit and members should refer to their certificate of coverage for more details, including benefits, limitations and exclusions. Regardless of benefits, the final decision about any service or treatment is between the member and their health care provider. HEDIS is a registered trademark of the NCQA