Colorectal Cancer Screening at Home
Consider screening our members who are 50 to 75 years old for colorectal cancer. Members in Blue Advantage HMOSM and Blue Advantage PlusSM HMO who have not been screened may qualify for a Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) Kit at no extra charge. We are working with Home Access Health Corporation to provide in-home kits to encourage screening for our at-risk members. Screening with a FIT Kit may be a good option to close care gaps.
Importance of Screening
Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States.1 About one-third of adults 50 years and older have not received the recommended screening.2
How it Works
- We notify members that they will receive the test kit and that using it is voluntary.
- The member submits the test for processing to Home Access Health Corporation by Nov. 30, 2020.
- Home Access Health Corporation sends the results in three to four weeks to the member and their indicated primary care provider.
How You Can Help
- Discuss the importance of screening and healthy lifestyle choices with our member.
- If our member receives a FIT Kit and calls your office with questions, discuss which screening test would be the best option for them.
- Document any test results in the patient’s medical record and discuss the results with our member.
Other Benefits of the FIT Kit
- No need for anesthesia or prep
- Screen members at home who may be at risk during the COVID-19 pandemic
- An annual FIT testing and colonoscopy every 10 years are the two cornerstones of screening for those of average risk.3
If you have any questions, please contact your Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Provider Network Representative.