BCBSTX Waives Customer Cost-Sharing for COVID-19 Treatment
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) is waiving member cost-sharing, including deductibles, copayments and coinsurance related to treatment for COVID-19. The waiver applies to costs associated with COVID-19 treatment at in-network facilities and treatment for out-of-network emergencies.
Which members are included?
The new policy applies to all fully insured group plans, individual and family plans, Medicaid STAR, CHIP, STAR Kids and Blue Cross Medicare Advantage (PPO)SM, Blue Cross Medicare Advantage (HMO)SM and BCBSTX Medicare Supplements (known collectively as “Blue Cross Medicare OptionsSM”). It excludes Part D of the Blue Cross Medicare Options plans. We will work with self-funded employer groups that decide to offer the same waivers.
How to submit COVID-19 treatment claims
Submit your claims for COVID-19 treatment of confirmed cases of COVID-19 using ICD-10 code U07.1.
What else is BCBSTX doing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic?
Other changes announced by BCBSTX in the wake of the novel coronavirus pandemic include:
- Expanding access to telehealth coverage
- Waiving prior authorization and members’ cost-sharing for testing to diagnose COVID-19
- Lifting restrictions on early prescription fills
- Lifting cost-sharing for in-network, medically necessary services delivered via telemedicine
- Launching dedicated COVID-19 websites so members can easily access information and resources around COVID-19
- Opening a special-enrollment period for fully insured commercial group account customers
- Launching the COVID-19 Collaborative Grant Fund to provide resources and support to those most impacted by the pandemic.
Because this is a rapidly evolving situation, you should continue to use the Centers for Disease Control Guidance (CDC) on COVID-19, as the CDC has the most up-to-date information and recommendations. Additionally, watch for updates on BCBSTX News and Updates and our COVID-19 Preparedness pages.
If you have any questions or if you need additional information, please contact your BCBSTX Network Management Representative.