Are You Using Shared Decision-Making Aids?
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) wants to support you as you work to improve the health outcomes of our members. Below is a list of evidence-based shared decision-making (SDM) aids that provide information about treatment options, lifestyle changes and outcomes. These aids are not intended to replace your guidance, but to complement the conversations you have with your patients. Engaging your patients in decision making can lead to better outcomes and quality of life. For your convenience, this SDM list can also be found under Clinical Resources/Related Resources on our provider website.
- Cardiovascular primary prevention choice
- Depression medication choice
- Diabetes medication choice
- Osteoporosis decision aid
- PCI choice (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention)
- Smoking cessation around the time of surgery
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) choice
- Statin choice electronic decision aid
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Deficit) treatment for school age child
- Diarrhea treatment with lactobacillus GG
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccination
- Hydroxyurea for sickle cell anemia
- Treatment for children with autism
- Behavior concerns in young children
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis treatment
- Fertility preservation for children newly diagnosed with cancer
- Treatment of obstructive sleep apnea
- Weight loss for adolescents
- Decision Support Toolkit for Primary Care
The following seven steps offer a framework for implementing patient decision support in primary care:
Step 1: Leadership
Step 2: Goals and Scope of Project
Step 3: Assessment
Step 4: Decision Support Tools
Step 5: Education and Training
Step 6: Implementation
Step 7: Quality Monitoring Tools
- Decision Support Toolkit for Specialty Care
- Breast Cancer
- Early Stage Breast Cancer Toolkit – Guidelines and tools for integrating decision support into clinical care for women newly diagnosed with early stage invasive breast cancer.
- Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS) Toolkit – Guidelines and tools for integrating decision support into clinical care for women newly diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ.
- Breast Reconstruction Toolkit – Guidelines and tools for integrating decision support into clinical care for women considering immediate or delayed breast reconstruction after breast cancer surgery.
- Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis
- Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis Toolkit – Guidelines and tools for integrating decision support into clinical care for patients with knee and/or hip osteoarthritis.
- Breast Cancer
The above material is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician. Physicians and other health care providers are encouraged to use their own best medical judgment based upon all available information and the condition of the patient in determining the best course of treatment.