The Magellan Connection: Partnering with PCPs to manage their patients’ behavioral healthcare needs
Magellan Healthcare is contracted to perform behavioral health managed care functions for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas HMO plans. Magellan offers access to a variety of resources and services that can assist you in enhancing medical and behavioral outcomes for your patients.
- You can access Magellan’s practitioner toolkit of behavioral health resources at www.MagellanPCPtoolkit.com.
- The Magellan PCP Toolkit is designed to give medical practitioners the information and screening tools needed to assist in making behavioral health referrals.
- Integrated care is the best practice model that addresses the whole health of an individual. Collaboration of the PCP and the behavioral health professional can improve the safety and efficacy of services to support better outcomes for members.
- The Magellan PCP Toolkit offers numerous platforms and tools for standardizing and streamlining effective collaborative relationships.
- Members have access to https://www.magellanassist.com/default.aspx , Magellan’s member website that offers several useful behavioral health self-management and educational tools. The member website also provides access to the Magellan Provider Search (provider directory).
Contact Magellan’s Customer Care Line (800)729-2422
- Keep in mind that you can contact Magellan Healthcare for assistance with screening your patients for co-occurring depression and substance abuse.
- Magellan also offers case management support for members with complex behavioral health needs.
- Magellan case management programs assess, plan, implement, coordinate, and evaluate options and services to meet a member’s clinical and medical needs. Activities vary based on the specifics of the member’s needs, and our case managers help create a personalized plan of care for every member.
- We strongly recommend referral to Magellan’s case management program for patients whom you suspect may be suffering from severe and persistent mental illness.