Update: BCBSTX to Resume Pre-Hurricane Harvey Business Operations Including Providers in the HealthSelectSM Network
On Aug. 26, 2017, the Texas Department of Insurance issued notices requesting insurance companies to assist their members/participants impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
Our work included:
- Extending claim filing deadlines for providers.
- Waiving penalties, pre-authorization or referral requirements, and other administrative processes related to access to care for impacted members/participants and providers.
- Allowing claims for out-of-network health care services for members/participants in the counties designated as a disaster area or impacted by the storm.
- Placing retail members/participants in 60 Texas counties that were in a declared state of emergency in a "Do Not Cancel" status. Termination for non-payment was suspended.
- Authorizing up to a 90-day supply of prescription medications for impacted members/participants, regardless of when the prescription was last filled.
After internal assessment and review, we have determined that a return to normal business operations is appropriate for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas and our members/participants.
Providers with specific questions or individual needs may call Customer Service at the number on the patient's ID card.
It has been our privilege to stand with our providers and members/participants during this unprecedented and catastrophic event.