Preauthorization Requirements — UT SELECT requires advance approval (preauthorization) by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) for certain services. Preauthorization establishes in advance (or within 48 hours following an emergency hospital admission) the medical necessity of certain care and services covered under UT SELECT.
The following types of services require preauthorization:
- All inpatient admissions
- Extended care, such as in a skilled nursing facility, through home health care or through hospice
- Private-duty nursing
- Home infusion therapy
- Motorized and customized wheelchairs and certain other durable medical equipment totaling $5,000 or more
- All inpatient treatment of mental health care, chemical dependency and serious mental illness
- The following outpatient treatment of mental health care, chemical dependency and serious mental illness:
- Psychological testing
- Neuropsychological testing
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Intensive outpatient program
Care should also be preauthorized if you or your doctor wants to:
- Extend your hospital stay beyond the approved days (you or your doctor must call for an extension before your approved stay ends)
- Transfer you to another facility or to or from a specialty unit within the facility
The numbers to call for preauthorization are listed on your UT SELECT ID card.
- Medical 800-441-9188
- Behavioral Health/Mental Health/Chemical Dependency 800-528-7264
Read more about preauthorization in the Benefits Booklet .