Coverage Outside of Texas
BlueCard® is a national program that enables you and your dependents to obtain health care services when traveling or living outside their Blue Plan service area. When you travel or live away from home for an extended period of time, you'll have the same benefits as your Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) plan. More than 90 percent of all hospitals and 80 percent of doctors in the United States contract with Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS) plans. Outside the United States, you’ll have access to doctors and hospitals in more than 200 countries and territories around the world through the BlueCard Worldwide® Program.
The BlueCard program features:
- Access to more than 625,000 physicians and 6,000 hospitals nationwide
- PPOs can be found in all 50 states, District of Columbia and Puerto Rico
- Receive network (highest) level of benefits
- Claims filed by providers
- No balance billing — BlueCard providers accept the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas allowed amounts for covered services and cannot bill you for charges which exceed the allowed amount.
BlueCard coverage will vary depending on whether you choose a contracting or non-contracting provider. Be sure to call Customer Service at the number on the back of your member ID card before traveling.
If you are already a BCBSTX member, log in to Blue Access® for Members to access more detailed information.