Job Change Tips
Losing your job isn't easy. You may be worried about finding your next job and paying your bills. These job change tips can help you prioritize your next steps.
Paying Your Bills
- File for unemployment benefits. You can file online or at your nearest Texas Workforce Commission office. While there, you can ask for help with job change tips, skills training and other support.
- Make a budget. List your monthly costs, and then decide what you can do without. If you have credit card debt, ask if fees or interest rates can be lowered.
- Update your resume. Let employers know why you're the best choice. List your career goals, experience and volunteer efforts on no more than two pages.
- Start your job search. Visit online career sites to learn how to post your resume. Also research companies that you'd like to join and apply for open jobs that fit your skills.
- Spend time networking. Ask family, friends and former co-workers if they've heard about work opportunities. Also, ask your last boss for a reference if you left your job on good terms.
Handling Your Stress
- Take time to grieve. Give yourself a few days — or weeks — to work through your feelings. Be kind to yourself and ask for the space you need.
- Increase physical activities. Exercise can help lower your stress levels. Go for a walk, bike ride or jog. Use this time to start a new hobby or project.
- Practice meditation. Breathing routines can help you reach a sense of well-being and rediscover your own strength. Calm your mind, lower harmful distractions and get back a sense of choice over your situation.
for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas plans
Job Change Tips
for the unemployed
Want Help Choosing a Plan?
we'll call or email you
Your submission has been received and a representative will contact you soon.