Education and Reference
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) ensures interpreter services are available. BCBSTX does not encourage use of family, friends or children to serve as interpreters due to the difficult words used for medical information. If you need assistance with interpreters. please contact Customer Service for assistance.
Providers have access to a BCBSTX Language line to be used for our members for phone interpreter services as well as video capabilities for language assistance include ASL video services. See our provider manual on the timeline for requesting face to face interpreters or for information on using our language line.
Request Interpreter Services by calling 214-865-7715.
The DEA allows and encourages the use of electronic prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) as a modern technology to reduce medication errors and fraud by maintaining a closed system of controls on controlled substances. Despite its availability since 2010, and an over-all increase in electronic prescribing, very few Texas clinicians have adopted its use for controlled substances. While 85% of Texas pharmacies have technology in place to process EPCS, only 2.5% of Texas prescribers are EPCS enabled. This leaves Texas behind the 4.1% national average for prescriber readiness. Being that schedule II-V prescriptions account for 12% of all drug claims, Texas Medicaid supports the use of EPCS and the associated education of prescribers on EPCS utility.
To help prescribers get started in the practice setting, see the HHSC endorsed material:
- Submit Texas Health Steps Claims on CMS-1500
- Include Benefit code "EP1" in field 11. Do not include any other characters in this field as this will cause the claim to deny.
- Diagnosis code "Z00121 and Z00129"
- No rendering National Provider Identifier required for Texas Health Steps
- Submission of Other Insurance (OI) coverage is not required for Texas Health Steps preventive care
- THSteps and CHIP Preventive visits may be performed on the same day as Acute Care services. However, services must be billed on separate claim forms
Texas Health Steps Educational Information
- Frew v Janek Consent Decree and Corrective Action Orders
- TX Health Steps Periodicity and Checkup Elements
For BCBSTX CHIP members, use the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas preventive care forms. These forms are located under the Medicaid (STAR) and CHIP Clinical Practice Tools Tab.