Maternity Program: A Healthy Start for Mothers and Babies
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) Special Beginnings®* maternity program is designed to help BCBSTX members and their babies get off to a healthy start by providing education materials and support, pregnancy risk factor identification, ongoing communication/monitoring and access to an online resource center. Members are supported from early pregnancy through six weeks after delivery.
Once a member enrolls in the program and completes a confidential questionnaire, they will receive a comprehensive educational book covering a multitude of pregnancy and infant care related topics.
Program staff in our Health Care Management Division will schedule follow up calls with the member before and after delivery to:
- Identify any risk factors that might adversely affect the pregnancy
- Determine progress in self-management techniques
- Provide education on prenatal, postpartum and newborn care
- Reinforce the physician's treatment plan
- Help manage high-risk conditions such as gestational diabetes and preeclampsia
- Offer assistance on how to access other pregnancy-related resources
- Access to an online resource with maternity tools, articles and information
Note: To ensure BCBSTX members have the opportunity to participate in the Special Beginnings Program, physicians must contact the Medical Care Management Department at 855-896-2701 or access the iEXCHANGE web application, immediately, with notification of any pregnancy for their BCBSTX members. Members may also call 888-421-7781 directly to enroll.
Refer to the BCBSTX Provider Manuals for additional information.
* BCBSTX reserves the right to discontinue or change this program at any time without notice. Special Beginnings can help plan and manage a member’s health, but is not a substitute for medical or other professional advice.