Allergy Tips for Your Nose
Itchy, watery eyes, runny nose and sneezing can make you feel allergic to life. Need help for your allergy symptoms? You may even take medications, only to have your symptoms persist. How can you make living with allergies more bearable?
One step you can take is to avoid the substances you're allergic to called allergens. This holds true for allergic rhinitis — allergies to mold, pollen and pet dander — or allergies to foods or drugs.
Try these tips for dust mite or mold allergies:
- Keep a humidity level of 50 percent or less in your home.
- Use an air conditioner in the summer.
- Cover your mattress, box spring and pillows with plastic or allergen-proof covers.
- Remove carpeting.
- Buy non-upholstered furniture and washable draperies.
If you're allergic to pollen:
- Stay inside when pollen counts are high.
- Close windows in your home and car.
For pet dander or cigarette smoke allergies:
- Keep pets outside if you can.
- Have a "no smoking" policy in your home.
- Avoid cigarette smoke.
Source: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research