Here's a quick checklist of Medicare and Medicare supplemental health insurance
Seven to nine months before your 65th birthday:
- Contact the Social Security Administration* at 1-800-772-1213 to confirm your eligibility for Medicare benefits.
- Review your current health insurance coverage to find out what happens after you turn 65.
- Find out what Medicare covers.
Four to six months before your 65th birthday:
- Review your Medicare Supplement insurance plan options.
- Check with your doctor(s) to see if they accept Medicare.
One to three months before your 65th birthday:
- Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B. If you do not receive your automatic enrollment information in the mail, contact the Social Security
Administration* at 1-800-772-1213.
- Enroll in a Medicare Supplement insurance plan
- Enroll in a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan
|What Medicare covers|
|Service||What Medicare Pays||What You Pay|
|Medicare Part A (Hospital)|
|First 60 days of an admission||All covered charges but a $1,156 deductible each benefit period||$1,156|
|61st to 90th day||All covered charges but $289 a day||$289 a day|
|91st to 150th day||All covered charges but $578 a day||$578 a day|
|Beyond 150 days||$0||100% of expenses|
|Skilled Nursing Facility Care|
|First 20 days||100% of approved costs||$0|
|21st to 100th day||All covered charges but $144.50 a day||$144.50 a day|
|Beyond 100 days||$0||100% of expenses|
|Medicare Part B (Medical and Doctor Charges)|
|$140 annual deductible||$0||$140|
|Medical services||80% of Medicare-approved charges after the $140 calendar year deductible is met||$140 deductible, then the 20% of Medicare-approved charges NOT paid by Medicare|
|Excess charges||$0||100% of excess charges|
|Other Health Expenses|
|Emergency Care in a Foreign Country (Medically Necessary)||$0||100% of expenses|
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas is not connected with or endorsed by the US Government, the Federal Medicare Program or any other governmental agency.
* By clicking this link, you will leave the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas website.