Preparations by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Will Assist Members Affected by Hurricane Ike
ALERT: BCBSTX Members Displaced by Hurricane Ike will Receive Benefits of Member Emergency Assistance Plans to Make Health Care Easier to Access.
Richardson, TX — As predictions increase for Hurricane Ike to become a category 3 or 4 storm when it reaches the Texas Gulf Coast, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) has announced several actions to assist members who may potentially be affected. “Quick access to health care and prescription medications can be critical for members impacted by hurricane conditions,” says Darren Rodgers, president, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. “Therefore, we’ve temporarily waived several key procedures that will help make access to health resources available quickly.”
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas members should call customer service first in order to get information on the following temporary changes:Members
- Physician/Hospital Care Assistance — If you are a BCBSTX member who needs medical attention during or after Hurricane Ike or a related disaster and are unable to seek care from your primary care physician or another BCBSTX network provider, you may see any licensed physician (MD/DO) or facility during your displacement and we will pay their claim at the in-network level of benefits. (Please note this does not suspend other exclusions or limitations of your policy.)
- Prescription Assistance — Wherever you go, your prescriptions, past procedures, lab results and immunizations are accessible to providers quickly and easily by calling our Emergency Provider Hotline at 888-421-5843. For prescriptions, early refill requests for a 30-day supply will be honored. We also will provide directions and assistance on transferring prescriptions from a mail order service or other retail pharmacy, or having mail-order prescriptions sent to an alternate address due to temporary relocation.
- Member ID Card — Providers and pharmacies will need your member ID number and a photo ID so they can verify your membership and file the claim with us. If you do not have your member ID card, need help finding care or have coverage questions, call 800-521-2227 and our customer service representatives can assist you.
- Texas Member Services: 800-521-2227 (or visit www.bcbstx.com)
- BCBSTX BlueCard and Federal Employee Information: 800-676-BLUE (2583)
- National BlueCard Access: 800-810-BLUE (2583)
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas — the only statewide, customer-owned health insurer in Texas — is the largest provider of health benefits in the state, working with nearly 40,000 physicians and 400 hospitals to serve 4 million members in all 254 counties. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas is a Division of Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), the country’s largest customer-owned health insurer and fourth largest health insurer overall. HCSC is a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
View 2008 Press Releases
For More Information Contact:
- News Media Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, (972) 766-7165
- Corporate Headquarters: (972) 766-6900