Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Prepared to Assist Members Affected by Hurricane Gustav
ALERT: Emergency Procedures Implemented to Make Health Care More Accessible for BCBSTX Members Displaced by Hurricane Gustav
Dallas, TX — In response to the widespread displacement caused by Hurricane Gustav, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) announced several actions to assist members affected by the hurricane.
"We are gratified that the impact of Hurricane Gustav was less than originally anticipated and we are prepared to help our members get the care they need. To assist displaced members, we've temporarily waived several key procedures that will help make access to care and prescription medications readily available,"says Darren Rodgers, president, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas members should call customer service first in order to get information on the following temporary changes:
For BCBSTX Members
Customer Service representatives are ready to assist displaced members who need help finding care, have coverage questions or need replacement ID cards. Members will be asked by providers for their ID number. If patients do not have their member ID number, they can call 800-521-2227 to retrieve their information. Up-to-date hurricane information for BCBSTX can also be viewed at www.bcbstx.com.
Physician/Hospital Care Assistance – For members unable to seek care from their Primary Care Physician (PCP) or another BCBSTX network physician or hospital, they can obtain care from any licensed physician (MD/DO) or facility during their displacement.
- Payment will be at in-network benefit levels at allowable amounts.
- Pre-certification and referral requirements will be waived so that members can obtain immediate access to care.
Prescription Assistance – For prescriptions, certain procedures will be temporarily waived for displaced members. Early refills and duplicate requests by members will be honored upon request.
- If requested by members, mail order prescriptions will be shipped overnight.
- Mail order deliveries will be attempted at alternate addresses, if requested.
- Mail order prescriptions can be filled at retail pharmacies.
- We will provide directions and assistance on how to transfer prescriptions to other retailers and from mail order to retail.
Member Services Hotlines
- Texas: 800-521-2227
- Louisiana: 800-495-BLUE (2583) — (Customer Service Center is currently closed. Members must call the Texas number above until the Louisiana center re-opens or visit Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana Online .)
- Mississippi: 800-942-0278
- Alabama: 800-292-8868
- Florida: 800-FLA-BLUE (352-2583)
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas — the only statewide, customer-owned health insurer in Texas — is the largest provider of health benefits in the state, working with nearly 40,000 physicians and 400 hospitals to serve 4 million members in all 254 counties. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas is a Division of Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), the country's largest customer-owned health insurer and fourth largest health insurer overall. HCSC is a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
View 2008 Press Releases
For More Information Contact:
- News Media Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, (972) 766-7165
- Corporate Headquarters: (972) 766-6900